Bansfield BeneficeDiocese of St Edmundbury & IpswichChurch of England Benefice Scenes Benefice Scenes Benefice Scenes Benefice Scenes

The History Of Saint Mary's Lidgate

Some Landmarks In The Historical Development Of The Church

The 1100s. Some authorities state that the south (which has a lintel and tympanum) was originally and was later adapted and given its pointed arch was taken from the Norman nave and placed in the aisle in the early 14th century. doorway Norman when it new south

The early 1200s. The present chancel was built, in the Early English style of architecture.

c.1290-1310. The western tower was erected, using windows of the early Decorated period.

c.1320-1330. The north and south aisles were added to the earlier (? Norman) nave and the chancel received two larger south windows. By this time the Decorated Style had developed to produce fine windows with beautiful tracery.

The 1400s. The south aisle received a new east window in the Perpendicular Style. The interior was equipped with a new font and sets of benches, also a fine rood screen beneath the chancel arch and a parclose screen to the north chapel.

The 1500s. A further set of benches, with linenfold ends, were placed in the north aisle.

The early 1600s; A new pulpit was made. (probably originally a two or three-decker) during this period, when greater emphasis was placed upon the preaching of the Word. The two bells at present in the tower were made in 1624-5.

The 1700s, The simple south porch was added.

1853-1905. The church underwent major restoration in several stages. The chancel was restored in 1853 (when the new east window received its stained glass) and again in 1863. In 1871, the Rector had the rood screen restored and given a new set of gates. Between 1895-3905 the nave, aisles and tower were restored in stages, the contractor being Mr S. Rolfe of Cheveley. A Thanksgiving Service for the completion of this work took place on All Saints' Day 1905.

1934. The south chapel was restored and given its handsome parclose screen, also a new High Altar was placed in the sanctuary.

1949. The lead roof of the nave was replaced by a tiled roof to match the chancel.

1951. The vestry floor was repaved with bricks. During recent years much has been done to renew and repair the roofs, replace the rendering on the walls and to beautify St. Mary's, and no visitor, can fail to see that this is a shrine which is greatly cherished, cared-for, wanted and used!

Last Modified Thursday 05 May 2011